2.05.2007

No Going Halfway.

Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Posted by Picasa


Wednesday I took off for the coast. I made it out in time to watch the sun set over the coastal range. Amazing. I gazed upon Redwoods for the first time ever in Armstrong Redwoods State Park. I couldn't, well I still can't, fathom the grandeur of these trees. All over I was surrounded by a forest of giants. I camped beneath them in Austin Creek State Rec Area. I put out my tent next to Bullfrog Pond. I had some hot chicken noodle soup for supper and hiked up to a view of the coastal range by the spotlight of the moon. I eventually hiked back and then fell asleep beneath two redwoods to the sound of bullfrogs. The pond truely earned its name. In the morning I awoke to the sound of ducks and wings on the water. I went for a walk amongst the giants with my cinnamon raison bagel and cream cheese. What an amazing breakfast walk. I then took off to the north on 101. I stopped for a delicious fruit lunch I had prepared before I left. mmmmm...raspberries, pineapple, strawberries, grapefruit, delicious. I ate on a point watching the crashing waves of the Pacific Ocean. I was so impressed by the ocean birds riding every great wave that came in. I hadn't thought of myself as missing the ocean much, but to listen to the waves again and feel the ocean mist on my face hit me with a wave of full peacefulness. I decided I should leave Salt Point State Park before the tide came in and would make the path back to my car troublesome. I continued up the coast and crossed from Sonoma county into Mendocino County. I stopped for some more ocean time at Manchester State Park. This scene was more familiar. There were less rocks and instead a scene of sand and dunes. I sat in a disturbed area in the grass and read for a couple of hours. More relaxation. I then determined it was time to head inland to Ukiah for a bit of disc golf. I had high hopes for disc golf on this coastal journey. I got into Ukiah and after a little library time (yay for public libraries), I headed toward Mendocino Lake toward a disc golf course. Unfortunately I realized that I must have missed my exit. As the wheels of my car turned I pondered the possibility of not cutting off my coastal and redwoods time. I thought, hmmmm...., what if i didn't stop now? No going halfway, it was time for a complete northern california coastal trip with lots of redwoods and ocean time! So even though it was already evening, I went for it. If I'm already 5 miles north of my exit, why not make it 160 miles north? So my wheels turned. I drove through the Avenue of the Giants in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The full moon had a difficult time making its spotlight travel through these trees. I made it as far as Eureka, CA that evening. I crashed there for the night and in the morning continued my journey north. I stopped for a morning beach walk at Patrick's Point State Park. Once again, wow. Afterwards, I went as far north at the Lady Bird Johnson Grove in Redwoods National Park. I felt like I was actually beginning to realize the struggle of the Redwoods as logging pursued these trees all the way up the park border. If this park wasn't established in the 1960s, I doubt these redwood groves would exist. I understand that the wood of the redwood is beautiful and valuable, but I can't understand how one could stand at the base of a standing redwood and feel the need to dominate and destroy this tree for the almighty dollar. The power of the dollar--I talk to my kids about its power every week. After an afternoon in the national park, it was time to turn around and head south. I stayed in Patrick's Point State Park for the night so I could fall asleep to the sound of the ocean. Perfection. The next morning was already Saturday. With a vanilla latte and mixed berry scone, the journey back to Yosemite commenced. I drove all day, but I did make the command decision to stop back through in Ukiah, take the right exit, and play a game of disc golf. I found a course at Mendocino College and on my first throw I lost my favorite disc in some bushes. I looked for quite some time and tried to continue playing with my other disc, but I was too distracted by the loss of the eagle and I knew that this just wasn't meant to be. So after two holes I left. I took a meandering path on some fun state highways and made it home that night. Back to my own bed. January was stressful and hard for me, but February bears great promise. I find myself in the best spirits. And hello, I was back to see the Colts win the Super Bowl. And even though very few people here have a passion for football, I frolicked around El Portal to spread the joy of the Colts victory and spread cheer on a Sunday evening. I stopped into five houses with a smile. Never halfway, right? Go big or go home. It's made for an awesome week. Today is a day to regroup before my kids come from where else but my recently explored Sonoma County. Perfection.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm glad that you were able to get away and enjoy yourself. I've been thinking of you lately, and hope to catch up soon!

YAY COLTS!!!

Anonymous said...

LJ,
Glad you had a good time out and about - the pictures are amazing and I like your coat! :) Hope we can touch base and talk on the phone soon!

Love ya,
Julie

Unknown said...

Hey babe!!I'm so happy reading this and knowing you are in such high spirits! Your trip sounds amazing and I would love to come out for an adventure myself. You really are an outstanding individual and should be proud of all the jouneys that you have already accomplished. I miss ya!
love
crystal

Anonymous said...

Wow! Your life just sounds amazing. I hope that you Count yourself lucky to be enjoying everything that you are doing.

Joe