4.09.2007
Fragrant Life
Spring wildflowers are blooming all around the hillsides. Yellow poppies, purple lupine, and magenta redbud have made the last few weeks come alive in brilliant technicolor. We have a lilac bush right outside our kitchen window whose aroma enters into us every time we sit down at the table or walk out the front door. So life is bright and smelling great.
The last week I have been in a really good place. I have just one week left of my class, but have the hang of coming home to study and actually enjoy the extra reflection on my teaching. It has made me think a lot about how am I effectively meeting the needs of students and how could I improve. We have had fun gatherings here the last two Fridays. We had the Indian food meal at our house and then a Jewish Seder dinner this past Friday. It is great to welcome people into our home for food and fun. And it has been a diverse group, not just the normal folks I live and/or work with, but others around town.
Saturday I awoke as a friend/roommate wandered down the hall. We talked for a bit and then in our pjs went to chat with another roomie. We laughed and talked until it was afternoon. We decided to go for a giggly hike to Hite's Cove, which is famous for wildflowers. So I ditched my plans for homework and went with them. On the way we picked up Justin, who is a new cook for YI this season (and an Indiana boy!). He was walking down the road when we first saw him. We slowed down the car and told him if he didn't have plans for the day he should jump in. So we all went and hiked for a couple miles. We stopped to go down to the river to dunk our heads in the water and lay in the sun. After doing this, we decided it was time to go... into town for Chinese food! It was fabulous. mmmm...how i love Chinese food! We came back to go down to a friend's house for Saturday night fun, which I left for a while to visit the lodge's hot tub! How could I turn down an invite like that? And I came back to the house just in time to see the final pieces of the chocolate bunny house go into place (Yes--a chocolate bunny house).
So with a bunny house in our kitchen, I went to church on Sunday morning. Church was followed by lunch with some of the ladies (and one husband, hehe). I missed my real family of course, how can you not on a holiday, but it was wonderful anyway. Even though I was a bit down, I returned home to a lilac smell, the bunny house, and tulips on the table. I am indeed in a good place.
Things are going well with new boy. He is very much my style--goofy and lots of laughs. Plus, we are very similar--both of us are cute blonds, hehe. The whole thing smells sweet right now. We'll see if the good fragrance lasts.
My personal fragrance was kicking in today. I ran 7.5 miles. The most I think I have ran since high school. I was impressed with myself. It felt so nice to just go as long as I could--as it always should.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment