As you can see from the pictures, Mexico made for a great vacation. Any vacation that involves lots of time in the sun, getting a tan, swimming in warm ocean water, and taking numerous naps throughout the day, is absolutely wonderful. I went with one of my coworkers, Kendra. We flew into Puerto Vallarta from LAX and took a 1 hour bus ride north of the city to the town of Sayulita. Sayulita was small, but safe with numerous amenities and plenty of beaches. If you hiked out of town for about 10 minutes, you could get to a beach that families with umbrellas, coolers, and loud voices didn't go to. We laid in the sun on that beach, Playa Los Muertos (muertos because you walked by a cemetary to get there), almost every day. The sunset pictures are from a beach about 10 minutes farther walk from Los Muertos. There you could see the sun without any points of land in the way, and sometimes Kendra and I had this beach to ourselves. Ahhh...Kendra and I alone watching the sun set with nothing but a nice cold Tecate in our hands. Throughout the week, we enjoyed the beach, but also live music (salsa, reggae, and jazz), smoothies, mexican tacos (and sometimes fish tacos, yummy!), and our fair share of coronas and pacificos with a slice of lime. For my first trip to Mexico I was very pleased. And I think I may have improved my spanish skills un poco. LA on the other hand--not my style. It was my first time in LA and we spent a night there on each end of our vacation. I suppose LA lives up to what I always knew it was--materialistic and elitist (or maybe I should say cliquey--you have to have the right dress to go here or so much money to be a part of such and such scene). I may be interested to see more of it someday to understand the city a little more, but I am not really drawn to do this anytime soon.
After getting home Saturday night, it was a night of sleep in my own bed before going up to site manage for the week at Crane Flat. Work was hard this week. Spring is a busy time, and managing bigger groups takes a lot more effort. But the snow is melting, so I slip less on the ice when I wake up in the morning and soon I won't slip at all. It was exciting to see the Spring Equinox pass by on the calendar. Spring is officially here...as is Easter weekend. Although I have to work again this Sunday afternoon, I have left El Portal (even though I have spent very little time at home in the last couple of weeks) to spend Easter weekend at the home of the Ouborgs. Martijn's parents treat me so wonderfully and feed us so much food (Martijn's homemade favorites...Dutch meals of course). And to be around a family when I know my family will be getting together sans Laura is comforting. In addition to eating plenty of food, we are watching lots of the NCAA tournament. Yay for Purdue! Hopefully they and other Indiana schools make it through another round. I suppose it's time that I go check out the scores...
Happy Easter everyone! Enjoy sunrise services, chocolate eggs, and quality time with family.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Post a Comment